Friday, December 5, 2014

"wrapped" up in the Season...

I have had lots of feedback on my post a few nights ago. Which has led me to a few thoughts.
1.) We all grieve in our own way, I have grieved, and feel like I am done grieving, however none of us are ever done grieving.
2.) I just really want to start blogging I think it will help with Seminary.

With that being said thanks for all your encouragement in me blogging. I have a lot of friends who blog and they all love it and I always say how I am going to blog more. I am now two for two.

I thought I would share some thoughts about this Sunday's Gospel text.

Mark 1:1-8

The Proclamation of John the Baptist

The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,
“See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
    who will prepare your way;
the voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
    ‘Prepare the way of the Lord,
    make his paths straight,’”
John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. He proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the thong of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

I LOVE Christmas! I did however go through a spell where I didn't really like it, but I love it now. Right now we are in the season on Advent which means that we are waiting and anticipating the Birth of Christ. Now if you ask my Dad how I am at Christmas waiting to open up presents, He will most likely tell you that I am annoying, and act like a five year old. Well I just can't wait! I can't handle that anticipation. Which spills over into my faith life. I can't wait for the birth of Christ, I am overwhelmed with such joy. So how do we not get "wrapped" up in the hustle and bustle of the season, shopping and focus our time more on what the real meaning of Christmas is. 

Spending time with family is something that is precious to everyone. Whether they are blood related or not, our time with those that are close to us is something that we need as humans. Our family are the ones who know us best. Mark tells us that John who was a baptizer was proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the foreignness of sins. James 5 tells us that Therefore we should confess our sins to another therefore we may be healed. If we can't confess, and repent to those around our us, how can we do that infront of God? In my life when I am praying to God or confessing at times it feels like pretend. Why? Because I am looking up at the ceiling, the sky, or where ever I am at praying to something I can not see. But what I think James, Mark, and John are telling us is that our family and friends are Christ. It make it real, and raw when we sit down from one another and confess to them our deepest darkest fears, secrets, and sins. 

It is in these moments of repentance that we don't get wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of the season. We remember the real reason of season. The baptism was a sign indicating that one had truly repented. John said that he was not worthy to stoop down and until the thong of Jesus' sandals which was a Jewish no no. It was the responsibility of a low servant when a house guest comes to dine; removing the sandal and washing the feet for comfort, and John was saying that he was not even worthy enough to do such and act, no one was for Christ.

So in the midst of this holiday season of trying to get the best deals on shopping, wrapping presents. Let us remember to keep our paths straight, to prepare the way of Lord. Because Jesus is coming...

1 comment: